Ruth 1:16 "Don't urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. "

Friday, August 14, 2009

Two Year Anniversary

Wow. I can't believe I have been married to the most wonderful, amazing man in the whole entire world for two years now??!!! It has just flown by!! Travis surprised me with dinner reservations and tickets to see Texas, the musical, in Palo Duro Canyon. You all know how much I love musicals, and one that is outdoors is up both of our allies. On my last day of summer and our actual anniversary, we cooked dinner together in our new house and I baked the best chocolate cake ever. We took Cooper for a walk and just hung out together. After the walk, we were so pleased to realize that we had not once turned on our TV. A whole evening together with no TV! It was SO NICE. I think those are the best times; ones where it's just you and the one(s) you love, no distractions, just real quality time together.

Looking back on these past two years together, I'm just in awe of all that God teaches me through my husband. Amazed, at how perfect of a match He designed. So perfect that I really couldn't have done a better job myself. Taken back, by how He could have given me such an amazing man to spend the rest of my life with. I cannot wait to start this next chapter of life with him and the excitement of parenthood.

I will admit that lately I'm thinking more and more about how close it's getting to the time when it won't just be the two of us. I'm realizing how I totally take for granted just the simple things we do, just the two of us, on a whim. Going to a movie, out to eat, trips out of town, Sonic runs. I know that all of it changes for the better when a sweet little baby enters the picture, but I can't help freaking out just a little. :)

Lately I have spoken with many moms who have had the same feelings, so I know it's normal. But if I look a little deeper I see that these feelings are totally just my selfish, human nature. I think that the Lord created things like marriage and children to teach us more about, and draw us closer to, Him. Travis and I often talk and laugh about how we never realized how selfish we truly were until we got married. It's suddenly and abruptly not about just YOU any more... no longer "me", but "we". In marriage, you make sacrafices because you love him/her. You yield to the things that are about you, for them, and it seems less painful and so much more fullfilling when you see how much joy it brings them. I think that through both marriage and parenthood, God is molding us more and more into the image of His Son, Jesus, who we all know made the ultimate sacrafice for us. Every step He took here on this Earth was totally and completely NOT about Him, but about us. I'm embarassed and humbled when I think about that. Somehow knowing what He did for me no longer makes it an issue of whether or not I can eat at "Rosa's", which Travis has had to save for when I am out of town or busy because I would throw a fit complaining that I didn't like it. Regretabally I confess that Travis has sacraficed and eaten at Pei Wei many more times than I have at Rosa's, and has picked up the house a few more times too, but I'm working on it.

God has taught me so much about Himself through Travis these past two years; about His sacrafices, patience, selflessness, loyalty, servanthood, peace, and unconditional love. I can't wait to see what He teaches me through becoming a mother and raisng children with my wonderful husband and best friend. He is going to be the most amazing Dad ever.

So, I'm treasuring these precious moments with Travis and looking forward to lots of fun, laughter, and unpredictibality of adding to our little family in December. I pray that I am more the "clay" and make way for the "Potter" in the days, weeks, and months to come.

Isaiah 64:8 (New Living Translation)

8 And yet, O Lord, you are our Father.
We are the clay, and you are the potter.
We all are formed by your hand.





sweet travis,
Happy 2 Year Anniversary!!! I love you more than you will ever know and thank God for you daily. You are truly more wonderful and perfect than I could have ever imagined. I feel so truly blessed to get to spend the rest of my life with you.

in awe of Him,
rebecca
Ruth 1:16 "Don't urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God.

2 comments:

  1. happy two years! what a sweet tribute! love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca- What a humbling post! It is really neat to see your outlook on marriage and parenting. I am so encouraged by your words!! Thanks for sharing! I am so excited for you and Travis and I know God is going to bless you both as parents! I wish you all the best of luck! Can't wait to see preggo pics of your tummy and then pics of the baby!! God bless! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete