Ruth 1:16 "Don't urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. "

Monday, June 7, 2010

Hellos and Goodbyes

School is officially out, Memorial Day is over, and June is definitely here. There have been quite a few McPherson moments to share.

HELLOOOOOOO TAKS TEST!!
I finished out the school year with a BANG! My 115ish students completely blew me away with their accomplishments on the 8th grade Social Studies TAKS Test. It was my first year to teach my "dream subject" - 8th Grade U.S. History, and I was so nervous to be TAKS accountable again. We got the results the Sunday before school was out, and I was elated to tell my students that each and every single one of them passed the Social Studies TAKS test! 100% passing, Special Ed and ESL included! UNBELIEVABLE! What an amazing group of kids. I didn't make any bribes or promises to get them to preform, just expected them to do their best. Wow. I'm still in awe. We are a Title 1 school and approximately 97% Hispanic, for many, English is not their first language. With some incredible odds facing so many of those sweet kids, they are achieving school and district honors, awards, and milestones some thought we never could! I have loved being there these past 5 years.
Hello 100% passing!
Goodbye class of 2014!

Speaking of Goodbyes...
We said goodbye to the most amazing daycare for Claire, The Learning Depot. We absolutely loved our time there and totally recommend it to anyone looking for a loving place to send your child. That goodbye only came because I said goodbye to teaching. I'm going to stay home and be with Claire next year. What a hard decision! I absolutely love my profession! The problem was that I would feel guilty when I would rather be home with her, and then feel guilty when I had a great day at work and was away from her. With much prayer and thought, Travis and I decided it would be best for our family if I stayed home. I know it won't be a walk in the park and that it's not cut out for everyone, but it's something I really want to try. I actually am really nervous about it, hoping that I'll be a good stay-at-home-mom. Teaching I know... raising a child is still pretty new to me. I know that this is not forever, hey, we've got college to pay for, but for now, it's what we think is best for us. I think I'll miss my friends and relationships at Bowie the most, and I'll do my best to not bother Travis at work when I crave adult conversation. I have been so blessed to have been at such an amazing campus for five years. It really flew by. Hopefully they'll take me back in a few years, when I bust back on the teaching scene.

Hello Dr's Office!
Claire has been to the doctor 3 times in the month of May. We never thought we'd be happy to hear each time that it was and ear infection, but we were. With every little fever we FREAK out because we never know if it's her kidneys or something else. We are doing monthly urine cultures to the urologist so thankfully our pediatrician did not require us to do the painful urinalysis procedures at each of our 3 visits last month. I know so many of you have gone down the ear infection road and I really appreciate all your words of wisdom. The Dr. said most ear infections don't start showing up until around 6 months, so she is really pretty young to have gotten so many already plus the antibiotics were not working. Looks like another genetic issue and so we have been referred to an ENT to discuss the option of tubes. We'll keep ya posted. The past three days she has been SO happy (knock on wood)! Looks like the 4th antibiotic we have tried is finally working. Praise the Lord! I love seeing her so happy. It's like we're finally seeing the happy baby she's wanted to be for so long. It's a breath of fresh air.

And finally... we say goodbye... to Lost. Travis and I have given six years of our lives to that amazingly addicting TV series. We both fell in love with it separately before we were dating, then only flamed our fondness for each other when we discovered our mutual obsession with it. It's been fun watching the seasons together and Travis is admitting he's having a hard time saying goodbye. If you haven't been sucked in by the Lost phenomenon, it's high time you netflix the series! It's totally worth it.

Couple More Hellos and Goodbyes

Hellos
-sitting up
-solid foods
-backyard swimming pools
-1/2 birthday parties (she is six months this week)
-summer evening strolls around the block
-our new baby friends and cousin: Austin, Jensen, Ella, Brooklynn, and Owen
-Bishop Henry turns one!
-and a Masters Degree for Will

Goodbyes
-3 to 6 month clothing
-daycare
-size 2 diapers
-long sleeves and pants
-our friends Jonathan and Katie Beth are off to the east coast for her residency (we will miss you... GOOD LUCK!!)
-and teaching



Miss Claire... playing after school.





Our friends, Jonathan and Katie Beth, who are moving to North Carolina so she can complete her residency. Way to go Dr. Reding! Who also share an obsession for LOST.


The series we'll never forget!


Our new baby nephew, Austin


C's first solid food. She loves it!!


Claire's first school.


Mom's first school - as a real teacher.


Happy 1st Birthday Bishop. I love this picture of you!

5 comments:

  1. Rebecca, I love you so much! Thanks for the great update.
    1. I am SO proud of you and your 100% passing rate. That is AWESOME!!! A&M should feature you in some magazine as an all star aggie teacher. ;) No really, congratulations, that is a huge accomplishment!
    2. You can call me when you need to talk next year- I'll be at home too figuring it out. I will be praying for you and your heart about staying home. I had some of the same feelings leaving my school and profession that I love.
    3. So glad to hear about Claire and that the fevers were not related to her kidneys. Stinks about her ears though! I'll continue to pray for her health. Such a sweetie!
    4. Sorry, no comment about Lost. Never watched it. Can we still be friends? :)

    Enjoy your summer!! I'll be sure to let you know when our little guy arrives! Any day now. :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited for your pass rate and your stay at home mom adventure! We'll have to meet up for lunch. Those pics of Claire are ADORABLE. So wonderful to see her so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca!
    I am so happy for you and Travis! I know youll never regret staying home to raise miss claire! I wish you guys the very best!! We miss you guys!
    Maci and Jake

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca and Travis: A lot is going on in your lives, and I really loved your blog entry on the Hello's and Goodbye's. You are a very talented writer, Rebecca! Best of luck to your new adventure as a wife and mom. I'm jealous!! Thanks for all of the updates - you are talented in all that you do, and I don't think you'll ever regret trying the stay-at-home mom thing. Life goes by quickly. As that email I just sent you on "daily-ness" said, the next thing you know you'll be looking in your rear-view mirror at empty car seats, so roll with this next phase and don't get bogged down in the "daily-ness". I love you all - Claire is so pretty! Just precious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a much better blogger than me - to think I talked you into doing it! What a fabulous update!!! I'm going to copy Katrina, but not do near as good a job commenting...
    1) Umm, yea. A&M's Star Aggie Teacher of the Year goes to you! GREAT job! And to think you did all of it whilst having a new baby at home!
    2) Call me too. The adult conversation is a necessity. Don't go too long without it. OR just move to The Woodlands. We will be happy to let you live with us. =)
    3) We've been praying for sweet Claire and her ears. We've prayed so much that B took on 2 infections for her!
    4) We weren't LOST watchers either...maybe one day.

    Love you. Miss you. Let's plan a reunion.

    ReplyDelete